Apply for NEXUS Card is not affiliated with the Department of Homeland Security (“DHS”), the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). 

How To Replace A NEXUS Card

You must report your NEXUS card is missing, lost or stolen as soon as you are aware that it is. Then, check through the procedures for replacing your card.

You can still use the lanes at the airport even if you have lost your membership card. However, you can't cross by land or sea.

When you apply for a replacement card, your original membership card will be deactivated and will no longer work.

If you've damaged, lost or had your card stolen, you must follow the same procedures to get a replacement card.

The fee for card replacement is $25.00.

Go to the Department of Homeland Security website

Click ‘I’ve already started applying’;

Then ‘Manage my Application’;

Select ‘Consent & Continue’;

Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘Continue’;

If you have a login.gov account, you can login to your profile account

Under ‘Program Membership’, select ‘Dashboard’ and ‘Edit Profile’. Then go to ‘Replace Card’;

Apply For NEXUS Card ensures that your form is thoroughly checked and submitted to Customs & Border Protection error-free. We advise you on how to move from the application stage to getting membership approval. Please be aware that we are a private company. We are not affiliated with the government. And we charge a fee for our service. You can apply for NEXUS directly with the government at a lower cost on the official website.